WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT ?

First of all, let me explain my blog title:
Raleigh - INSIDE&OUT.

If you were born in the old Rex Hospital in the early 50's like I was, you weren't born INSIDE the Beltline. You were just born and lived IN Raleigh. Period.

It wasn't until the early 80's, when the Cliff Benson Beltline was finished that homes and their residents and pets were assigned the titles "Born Inside The Beltline" or "All Those Other People," otherwise known as "Outside The Beltline."

As a result, at the ripe old age of 30-something, I became an Inside The Beltliner through no fault of my own except being born to parents that owned a home on St. Mary's Street.

So, now let me explain what you'll be doing here. You will be following my journey, through sketching and lettering, while I meander Inside and Outside the Beltline.

I'm new at this, so I hope I either give you inspiration to try your hand at it as well, a boost to your ego because you've found someone who's not as good as you are (yet), or at least a good laugh!

In any case, come with me. Be my passenger. And let's enjoy this journey together!!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Belize






I must digress here in the beginning of my blog. You see, I first tried my hand at an Artist's Journal in February of 2010. Since I was not sure if I'd like this new endeavor, I did not start a blog at that time. Up to that point, I'd been a calligrapher, but not an artist.

Wanting to expand my avenues of expression, I decided to take along a watercolor journal with me on our cruise to Belize and beyond. Since we were allowed only one bag per person, my art supplies were very limited!

Here's what I packed:
* one 7x10 spiral Canson Montval Field Watercolor Book
* a tin of 12 Staedtler Karat Aquarell watercolor crayons
* Winsor and Newton's Cotman watercolors Field Box (really, really tiny!)
* some Marvy Le Plume brush markers
* some Faber-Castell Pitt brush markers
* four Pilot Parallel Pens
* two watercolor brushes

Before I started, I gave myself some parameters to follow:
1. Keep it simple.
2. Whatever comes out on the paper, let it stay. It's okay!
3. You don't have to be perfect!

I would sit on our little private deck in the mornings with my cup of coffee and danish while sketching our new port of call with my pencil. Later in the day, after going onshore and touring, I'd finish the page with watercolors and lettering.

I hope that if you have not tried your hand yet at an Artist's Journal, my simple little effort at making one will spur you on.

No comments:

Post a Comment